Be sure to check out my Happy Eats Healthy site to see upcoming classes, seminars, for more information on Health Coaching, nutrition information and more!

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwich

A cookie bake off challenge. You know exactly how these things get started... a bunch of people are sitting around and someone says they have come across the greatest peanut butter cookie recipe ever. Not to be outdone, another person chimes in that their Grandmothers peanut butter cookie recipe is the best ever! And yet another proclaims that their cookie recipe would knock the competition out of the kitchen. Before I realize what is happening, I'm in the middle of cookie bake-off challenge!

The challenge: Who can make the best peanut butter cookie
The rules: Peanut butter must to the star, you have to taste it in every bite.
Competitors: Four office mates
The Judges: The entire rest of the office.
The results: Technically, I was tied for 1st, and the Executive Vice President was called in to break the tie. I lost on a technicality - that their was chocolate in my cookie. But, the entire office agreed that my cookie was the best overall cookie. So I pushed the envelope a little on the rules - there was peanut butter in every bite, just enhanced by chocolate. Now I will tell you that the last time I made these cookies I used peanut butter chips rather than chocolate. The store I went to(at 8:30 pm the night before I needed them)
didn't have them. They are hard to find; and I didn't think about this aspect until after I got to the store. By that time it was too late! So if your not a chocolate fan (whatever) or you find yourself in a peanut butter cookie contest, try these using peanut butter chips instead of chocolate - they are tasty!

Seriously, this little cookie contest spurred more office discussions than the Obama-Hilary debate! The debate over whether people could/should actually vote for the cookie with chocolate spurred discussions that was passed from group to group until the final decision lay with the big guy! I suspect we will have more of these challenges and I'd also wager that due to the success and 'controversy' of the first one, I'll be seeing more challengers as well! Bring it on, it will keep me on my toes. And I'll keep pushing the limits of the rules even if that means I don't win. Because as long as I'm cooking and baking, I am fat and happy!


Preheat the oven at to 350 degrees (my oven temp seems to be lower, so I did set mine up to 365 degrees.)

In a mixer, beat until creamy:
3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (packed, and heaping)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, (easiest to use if is room temperature)

Then add (mix to blend between each addition, but don't over beat)
1/2 cup peanut butter (I use creamy for these cookies)
1/2 cup Crisco
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg

Now add the dry ingredients (it's good to premix these in a bowl prior to adding)
1 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder (heaping)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Finally, add either 1 cup of min chocolate chips (or use peanut butter chips!)

Drop small scoops of cookie onto an ungreased sheet pan (I used my smallest cookie scoop). Bake for about 12 minutes, until just lightly golden brown. You don't want to over-bake these or they will be too crumbly; they will almost seem not quite done when you take them out. Let them sit on the pan for about 5 minutes before you move them to a cookie rack to cool.


In the mean time make the filling:
In a glass bowl, place:
1/2 cup chocolate (or peanut butter) chips
1/2 cup peanut butter (use creamy for the filling)
1/4 teaspoon salt

heat to a boil:
6 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
Pour into the glass bowl - stir until chips are melted and everything is creamy.
Place this in the fridge until cooled, but spreadable.

Once your cookies and filling are chilled, assemble by spreading filling between two cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails