Be sure to check out my Happy Eats Healthy site to see upcoming classes, seminars, for more information on Health Coaching, nutrition information and more!

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Homemade Buns


Cast countdown: 1 week.

It is when I do seemingly futile efforts like these which has historically prompted my parents to say "You're doing too much." Why on earth would I attempt to make buns from scratch with one arm in a cast? I had a craving for them and I clearly like to test my limits.

Much to the chagrin of many- the buns came out great, not the best batch ever, but still better than store bought!

These buns are super fabulous just by themselves, rewarmed in the oven, with a little butter on them. Jam too! Try them as a side to a salad or a soup. I freeze them in ziploc bags and take them out as needed. They defrost quick- just don't microwave them.

The recipe is one that's been handed down through the family; but let me tell you, that actual recipe card has nothing more than the basic ingredients on it- it really is a learned thing. By trial and error, you come to your own hand. Below is my version- I will update this on occasion as I tweak. The last batch I made into mini buns- so size to your needs. Being fat and happy is eating one of these warm buns!

2 cups of warm water
add 2 envelopes of yeast, let foam

then add: (its going to seem like the crisco will never mix in- but it will when you start kneading it!
1 beaten egg
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup crisco (hard)
1/2 cup sugar
4-6 cups flour (may need more or less- this is the hard part, you need to just feel it out)

Knead about 10 minutes, dough will be slightly sticky
place in an oiled bowl, top with plastic wrap and cover with a dish towel. Place in a warm spot. Let rise 1 1/2 hours until it gets twice in size. Punch down, and rise again.

Then form into balls, for mini buns, make them about the size of a golf ball, size of a cue ball for larger hamburger type buns. Just be sure to size each consistently for even baking. Place on a cookie sheet and cover for the final rise. Bake at 350 degrees until they are golden brown; the time will vary on the the size of the buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails