Be sure to check out my Happy Eats Healthy site to see upcoming classes, seminars, for more information on Health Coaching, nutrition information and more!

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Banana Semifreddo

I just can't stop. I cannot stop with the frozen treats! It's like I'm fricken' addicted! Dave wanted a treat one night- and all I could come up with was bananas and whipping cream. Aha!

This one is a super quick, simple, mock ice cream. It's like a half frozen mousse- which is exactly what semifreddo means in Italian (half frozen). My recipe below is about as simple as it gets. Most semifreddo recipes call for either whipped whites or yolks and sometimes both. I skipped the eggs in my variation because I don't think they are needed for this.

This semifreddo does not become totally frozen. I'm thinking you could use some cookie cutters, like a monkey, or a tree, and it would be real fun for kids!

But never does this dessert need an ice cream maker. It just quick and easy! A great trick I do is take bananas that are turning brown, and place them in the freezer- you don't even need to wrap them! This works great for this recipe, and even banana bread.

If you want to jazz this up a bit- drizzle warm chocolate or caramel sauce across it and serve with coffee and Baily's.

Banana Semifreddo

Mash one ripe banana until smooth (you may find using a hand held blender or small Cuisinart is easier).

Whip:
1/2 cup cream
add 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp of vanilla

Fold the whipped cream into the mashed banana; Place in small pan or muffin tins lined with plastic wrap. Freeze for 2-4 hours. Slice and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Monique! This recipe turned out great! It was very easy for someone with my limited cooking skills to make, and Aaron loves the results! Thanks for thinking this up!! On a side note... any good recipes for chocolate covered biscotti?? HUGS! A & A :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Your semifreddo recipe was nominated as one of the "Best 300 Semifreddo Recipes on the Net". To vote for it, please visit http://easyitalianrecipes.org/dessert-recipes/best-300-italian-semifreddo-recipes-on-the-net-vote-for-your-favorite/ - your recipe is positioned at #293 (random order).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails