Be sure to check out my Happy Eats Healthy site to see upcoming classes, seminars, for more information on Health Coaching, nutrition information and more!

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Eggplant and Chorizo Tacos


I've been talking a lot about my weekly CSA delivery and rightfully so. Fresh, organic produce delivered to my doorstep direct from the farm is brilliant!

However, a couple of weeks in a row of eggplants and I was running out of ideas. Then it hit me to turn them into a taco or burrito filling. Eggplant has a mild flavor and will take on the essence of its surroundings. I played with both chorizo and bacon- look for the bacon burrito posting in the next week or so.

The ingredients are completely simple and without complication. Think of this as a rendition of a street taco. A simple, organic, healthy, Fat and Happy street taco.

Fat and Happy Food Blog Tips and Techniques:  Use the Mexican, crumbled chorizo rather than the Spanish dried version.


Eggplant and Chorizo Tacos



4 oz Chorizo
1/4 cup diced onion
1 large eggplant
2 cloves garlic
Olive or corn oil
Queso Fresco
1 cup Hominy  (I used canned for ease)
Fresh tomato salsa (recipe below)
salt and pepper
Corn or flour tortillas

Peel and dice the eggplant. In a medium sized fry pan, add a good drizzle of olive oil and the diced onion. Let the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes and then add the eggplant. 

Continue to cook, tossing often until the eggplant is nearly cooked. Add in the garlic and chorizo. Saute until everything is cooked, this should take around five minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

While the eggplant is cooking, wrap the tortillas in tin foil and place in a warm oven. In a second pan, heat the hominy in just a drizzle of oil.

Spoon the chorizo eggplant mixture into a tortilla, add a spoon of the salsa over the top and crumble on queso fresco. Serve with a side of the hominy with another spoon of the salsa and a slice of lime.


Fresh Tomato Salsa


2 tomatoes, diced small
1/4 cup minced red onion
1/4 cup chopped parsley (or cilantro)
Juice of 1 juicy lime (use 2 if the lime is dry)

Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl. Spoon over the tacos above.

3 comments:

  1. Love this idea. I made this with turkey meat instead of Chorizo and it was delicious and went completely unnoticed by the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for a new eggplant recipe and this looks so yummy! I have all the ingredients on hand so I will totally be trying this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these last night and they really surprised me. I suspected they would be good (or else I wouldn't have made them, of course, hehe), but they were much better than good! Healthier than my typical chorizo tacos, too. Thanks so much for the creative recipe. I'm gonna have to check out your eggplant chorizo burrito recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails